Thursday, September 30, 2010

Outdoor Play

Waldorf education puts a strong emphasis on natural play, using natural things to play so that it brings forth a good imagination.  I know that isn't the exact wording of Waldorf methods, but it's pretty close.  The girls like playing outside, and they were fussing at me to turn on the electronics, so I moved us all outside to enjoy the beautiful weather.

Megan making a shelter for her toy chinchilla.



The chinchilla peeking out from under it's shelter.

A leaf crown.  I showed the girls how to make them and they made more things. 

A chinchilla pen, to keep it safe.

Choosing a leaf to use is serious work.  Notice the yarn in the tree, another part of their playing.  

Sami loves to make "lakes" in the pea gravel.  

Rose and Hugo loved the action of the gurgling water.  They played in it, too.  

Totoro watched from the swing with me.  He's a mama's boy.  



They played outside for a long time and were happy.  I listened to a "Hands of a Child" lecture from Rudolf Steiner and fell asleep in the swing. 

No comments: