Saturday, September 18, 2010

Knitting and Crochet...Again

The girls and I are picking up knitting and crocheting again this fall.  We've tried it before, but never managed to keep it up.  There are several reasons for our not keeping up with yarn work:
  • Me trying to make a piece perfect even though I'm a novice
  • Inability to read patterns, therefore only able to make a scarf or washcloth. 
  • Constant interruptions from family, phone, pets
  • The girls trying to make something and the subsequent meltdowns when their projects aren't perfect
  • One girl needing instruction at the same time as the other girl, interrupting each other and my project as well
  • Girls losing my knitting and crochet needles and scissors as they carry their project through the house and lay them down (and finding the needles days later as they work their way down to the floor under the recliners)
  • Going to the hobby store to buy yarn or needles and the girls want to buy everything and it turns into a "no, no, no" session. 
Do you see a pattern?  I do.  We are waaaaaaaaaaay to serious about this and need to back it down a notch and just have some fun.  It is fun to knit, but we are so anxious to have a finished product that we lose the joy.  I plan to find some videos online to show how to do a simple project that isn't just a square or rectangle. 

I also plan to get each girl her own supplies and make them responsible for their own needles.  We've been sharing our supplies due to economics, but I would like to make them responsible for their own sewing basket so that they learn more responsibility.  A bonus (actually my real reason) is that I can quit going crazy looking for my things.  I think a small skull-and-crossbones sticker on my supplies might work (it worked on my "special pens" box).

 This is a small Webkinz scarf that Sami is working on. I'm going to work with her today to relax and just have fun.  She keeps pulling out rows because they aren't "right" and I haven't been able to spend one-on-one time with her to help her through the humps.  With my mother being sick this week, I haven't had time to help her much, but we'll fix that today.

No comments: