Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lessons from Outside Sources

When we can fit it into our budget, I like to get the girls lessons for things that I can't teach.

This fall Sami is taking singing lessons and Megan is taking guitar lessons. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the instructors and the instructors' schedules. Their first teacher had a complicated pregnancy about two years ago and had to stop (and God blessed her with a healthy son). After nearly two years of waiting for her to start lessons again, she announced she was ready; a week later she announced she was pregnant again and had to cancel again. We were fortunate enough to find a new teacher, but he already has family obligations that came up and pushed us back a month. It's always hard to rely on someone else when you need something from them, but it's even harder when you WANT something from them. I sure hope that our patience is rewarded, because I know that the girls will get a lot from their lessons.

My sister Amy is giving sewing lessons to the girls and me this fall. Just out of the blue, she called me and wanted to do this. We were thrilled! I can rely on her to be gentle with the girls and make it a fun experience, and we can relax and be ourselves and speak our minds. The girls and I have barely sewn before, so we are sure to learn something.

It will also be a nice bonding time with just Amy and us. No other family...just us. We never get to see her hardly unless there are at least twenty other people involved in the gathering, which means that it's chaotic and nerve-wracking. I love the rest of my family, but when they are all together it is pandemonium. No one is mean, but it's so loud and confusing and screechy. I always leave feeling heart broken and sad. This will be a nice change to have some much needed quiet bonding time.

Our lessons start today and I can't wait!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I hope your lesson go well.