Thursday, May 27, 2010

Unschooling, continued...

We're still doing the unschooling thing. If it feels so good, why do I feel so guilty?

I think it's because when we do a worksheet, there is something tangible to put in a binder and check off a list. When we unschool, we almost have to have a blind faith that something is being learned. Almost.

I'm going to start journaling or listing what is learned each day, just to quiet down that little type-A voice in my head that wants order. My creative side will still be satisfied, and my up-tight side will be fed. Even though I know that the girls are learning and getting more creative every day, I can use the journaling as a tool to work in suggestions of what they might be interested in and even lay out some books for stealth learning. I'm a huge fan of stealth learning.

I am going to reintroduce math (we've taken a math break), but I'm going to incorporate some suggestions from a free-thinking friend (thanks, Christy!) to make it more enjoyable this time. I've got an abacus, and that's a big hit already. They couldn't wait to take turns with it and were making huge leaps in their understanding of basic math concepts in just a few minutes of "play" with it. We're going to try Christy's method of flower pots and glass beads next for division and multiplication.

And the journey continues...

No comments: