Sunday, May 23, 2010

High School Reunion

I've always vowed to never EVER go back for a high school reunion. Never. My brother in law is the same way. Why would I feel that way you ask? Let me explain.

My high school is getting ready for their 25th reunion, and they are begging people to just show up. They even have a Facebook page about it. "We don't care how fat you've gotten! We don't care how much money you make! We just want to see you!" Money and body weight are the least of my concerns. It's the past that is keeping me from showing up.

I don't want to go because I hated who I was in high school. I was shy, awkward, invisible, and completely miserable. I couldn't wait to leave. I was bullied, not often, but still I was bullied by certain teachers and students. These particular teachers and students were beloved by the school's "popular" students and they are still chums with each other today. Mostly I was ignored. I didn't matter to most of them. I was never invited to a party. Never. I just showed up at one party on graduation day and was completely ignored the whole night. Why do they think that would be any different now?

When I was a senior in high school, I was introduced to the Army National Guard. I found out about the National Guard when my brother had just gotten out of the Air Force and joined a local transportation unit. It was intriguing to me that I could be in the Army part time and get college money. I decided to join, but not just for the money. I was making my first step to not being ignored. I refused to stay in that box I was pushed into anymore.

Basic training was the best thing I could have done, as it shattered what I was and it grew me into the woman that I am today. I think that God leading me to the Army was the single most important thing that moved me into the direction that I am today. Thank you, God! He placed the opportunity in front of me and allowed me to see the potential of my life.

After successfully completing basic training, I stepped into college with a fresh slate. I knew I would do great academically, but now I knew that I would also do great socially. No one knew who I was and that I was supposed to be ignored. If I could survive basic training, then college would be a piece of cake. I made dozens of friends in college and hundreds more in my 22 years in the Army National Guard. The Army led me to my beloved husband. Compare that to the two friends I made in High School.

Homeschoolers are often asked about socialization. Many people think that going to a public school will make a person well rounded socially, and allow them to deal with all of life's social problems. Well, that socialization almost ruined me. I shudder to think of what my life would have been like if I had stayed where that "socialization" told me to stay.

I will happily stay at home while the other alumni go to the reunion. They can reminisce about all the good times they had. I'll reminisce about all the blessings that God gave me after high school.

Added later: When I said that I only had two friends, I meant two true friends where we did everything together. I would like to add that there are a few people whom I would also call acquaintance friends; they were nice to me during class, and were even nice to talk to during the years afterwards if we happened to meet somewhere. We just never did anything during school or after school together.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I always thought you and Dave were high school sweethearts.

Amanda, the Head Nut said...

Dave and I met in 1988, at Camp Atterbury. Apparently he knew I existed quite a while before I knew of him. We were both working there at the same time, and then we both went through Officer Candidate School together. We started dating during OCS.