Monday, May 10, 2010

College

I went to one of my niece's college graduation on Saturday. I've been to college and have always hoped that my own children would one day go to college, and that thought was always lurking in the back of my mind. For some reason, at this graduation ceremony, I kept thinking of my own children being in the processional of students receiving their degrees. That ceremony cemented the vision in my mind instead of it being just a passing thought.

I think that was the boost I needed so that I can focus a little more on the learning process and in turn get them focused more on the learning process. I've no doubts that they will go to college some day, and I want them to be ready. I'm still not going to cram workbooks down their throats, but I do want to ensure that they learn the learning process, and how to research, and how to seek out answer to questions.

I already try and get them to think about answers on their own, so now I will guide them to learn how to research answers on their own. That is what unschooling is about, right?

No comments: