Sunday, April 11, 2010

Time to Start This Up Again...

Since my DH is in Iraq now, I thought this would be a good way to keep him up to date on what his homeschooling family is doing back home in Indiana. Life has been so busy, that I just haven't taken the time to add to this blog since some time in 2008. I hope this isn't the only one in 2010!

I Facebook a lot, and that has taken the place of blogging for me. The trouble with Facebook is that it leaves very little room for detail. And some of those details just aren't Facebook material.

So what has happened recently?

1. Dave has taken a civilian job in IRAQ. He will be gone about a year, but does get to come home every four months for leave. He will be working along side American soldiers. Why would someone work so far from his family? After much praying and discussion, we think that this is what God has intended for us to get us where we need to be financially, and by extension, emotionally. Stress about money is a terrible thing, even if we don't fight about it. Money stress is always lurking over our shoulders and is keeping us from being in an emotionally secure place where we can just relax and enjoy life. So temporarily we are trading our financial/emotional stress for just emotional stress. While money isn't everything, this job will get us where we need to be for the rest of our lives. If you know ANYTHING about Dave Ramsey, you know exactly what we are talking about.

We have a strong and loving marriage. We are looking at this next year as an adventure and we are not feeling sorry for ourselves. That's not to say that we won't miss each other. We definately will. But we will get through this.

2. The girls miss their Daddy (he's a real hands-on kind of Dad), but they are strong and they are adjusting well. They stress out a little easier right now, and things that normally don't bother them have been causing emotional distress ( small meltdowns). All in all, they have done remarkably well.

3. Homeschooling will continue, but I don't know if I want to continue as normal. If you know my family at all, we are half unschool/half traditional homeschool. I think I am going to kick it up a notch and see just where we can be. I dont' want to impress anyone else, or keep up with anyone else, but I think we can be further than where we are today. It will be harder, because my honey-do list is now my own to-do list, but we'll get it done.

No comments: