Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Math Meltdowns

Oh My Gosh! How in the world does anyone deal with math meltdowns? I'm so sick of dealing with it! I get, not in any particular order...
  • crying
  • whining
  • complaining
  • "forgetting" how to do the problems
  • not trying unless explained
  • running to hide when the math book comes out

What I'm doing in math isn't working for them. I don't want to leave math to the unschooling method. I've tried home-made worksheets, "Math in My World," Singapore, and some Singapore supplements.

They can do the work once explained. If we haven't reviewed it very recently, it's like they don't remember how to do the work at all. Don't even get me started on word problems (but from what I read, that skill is commonly not understood until about age 11).

In my little paranoid world, they are not as far as I think they should be. My paranoid self does not want them to get "behind" their peers. Homeschoolers aren't supposed to worry about keeping up with the Jones, right? I guess I'm a worrier. They are such intelligent, bright and creative children, and I know that they are smart. So why do I worry?

I either need to try something different again, or give it a break and let them develop a little more. I am going to try some manipulatives that a friend suggested (just as soon as we hit a payday). I hope the manipulatives are the trick. Doing theoretical work on paper just doesn't click with them.

No comments: