Thursday, April 29, 2010

Doing Too Much?

My sweet sister-in-law is in a situation like mine. Her husband (my brother) is working in Alaska. Mine is working in Iraq. She has two girls at home with her. I have two girls home with me. She is trying to be both Mom and Dad. I'm trying to be both Mom and Dad.

She told me to be careful not to overdo it because I would get burned out. In other words, don't try to take on too many tasks that would normally be done by the spouse just to prove you can do it. At least I think that was the point she was trying to make. I got to thinking about everything that I've been doing since Dave has been in Iraq...

  • Homeschooling the kids
  • Mowing the grass
  • Weed eating
  • refilling gas cans
  • Gardening
  • Cleaning the garage
  • Cleaning house
  • Washing cars
  • Mushroom hunting
  • Fixing bikes
  • Running all over for appointments
  • Babysitting occasionally
  • Grocery shopping
  • Banking
  • Paying bills
  • Helping at my parents (mowing, yard work)

...this is just a sampling. You get the idea. I finally figured out that I'm not doing anymore than I was doing BEFORE Dave left for Iraq! He always worked so hard and for such long hours with very few days off, that I was the one that was always doing 95% of the housework and yard work and all other work. Dave has never been lazy. Quite the opposite! He worked such awful hours that he would leave the house before the sun was up and come back after dark. There were just no more hours for him to do anything at home, too.

I didn't realize just how much I contributed to the household. I know that being a Homeschooling Mom is a lot of work, but I still get that feeling that I get because I don't contribute financially to the house. After seeing how much I really do that we don't have to hire someone out to do, I guess I do contribute financially by saving us money.

No comments: