Friday, April 23, 2010

Sleep

Sami and I slept poorly last night. We don't know why...there was no caffeine nor sugar involved. All night long I was laying in bed wishing for sleep, and Sami (laying with me) kept reaching over and asking why she couldn't sleep. I finally got up at 6 AM and paid bills. I'm interested to see which of us will pass out first tonight!

It's been an extremely busy week. We've been out running errands and meeting appointments all week, and it won't stop until about the middle of next week. Sometimes it's nice just to spend a quiet day at home. It's been said by many homeschoolers before: Why do they call it homeschooling if we're never at home?

I've changed tactics (again). Trying some structured unschooling. I'm putting away anything that looks like a worksheet for a while and just giving them tools to explore on their own. This week we broke out the walkie talkies, mushroom hunted, made feather quills and drew and wrote with them, read, played, tried hyroglyphics (sp???)...the list goes on and on. The computer, TV and video games were off limit till late in the day. They seem much happier since I made this change, and they are soooo excited to try everything. They don't complain about the electronics being off limits either, because they are so busy doing everything else.

Unschooling is NOT unparenting. It's giving them freedom to explore on their own.

No comments: