Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Today's Accomplishments

I am happy to say that we all got some meat-and-potatoes homeschool work done yesterday.  Sami couldn't sit at the kitchen table while doing her math and other written work, but she did do her work. 

Megan fussed about doing her math at first, but she sat down, zipped right through, and (here's the funny part) ASKED FOR MORE.  Megan said that she LIKED IT.  I am writing in caps because it was that shocking to me.  She has never once before mentioned liking math.  I am hoping that it is because of my superior parenting skills (*cue crickets chirping*).  Seriously, I have been constantly telling her how good she is at it and that she's a natural and how fun math was for me as a kid because it's like solving puzzles...maybe some of that sunk in.  I'm just delighted, whatever the reason. 

I read out loud about OCD in front of Sami and Meg.  Up to this point, Sami wanted to keep it to herself because she was embarrassed, but now she is accepting that Meg is part of the team and it's okay to talk about it in front of her.  Never mind that Megan was reading, "Pencil of Doom" by Andy Griffiths at the same time.  I didn't stop Megan because I was happy that Sami was including her in the same room. 

We had several OCD hiccups today.  Sami was able to win some OCD battles today, such as touching the Nintendo DS, sitting on my lap, and calming herself through several episodes of OCD nagging her.  She seems to be getting stronger at telling OCD to back off while she delays, changes, or stops the rituals.  It's a good start to the CBT, and I'm hoping that the momentum sticks.  Even though we've only targeted the smaller of the OCD triggers, she's been working on her least favorite bigger triggers by delaying the rituals.  As long as she is happy with her progress and it isn't impossible to keep trying, I think we can bypass any medications. 

No comments: