Monday, January 31, 2011

OCD

Sami and I are journeying through her OCD again.  She had a good bout of it during 2007-2008.  It started before that, but that's when we recognized it and kicked it to the curb the first time.

Late last fall and early winter, OCD creeped back into our lives.  It doesn't seem as bad this time, but it's here none the less.   We are fighting it the same way we did last time, by using cognitive-behavioral therapy  (CBT) at home.  Talking Back to OCD by John March is our guide, and it is very helpful.  There is also a good children's book out also called Mr. Worry by Holly Niner.  As we read these books together, she keeps pointing out what she has experienced that is similar or exactly as the authors describe it. 

I read Saving Sammy by Beth Maloney by myself.  It's a heart breaking story about a boy with severe OCD that was caused by a strep infection.  It's made me consider getting Sami a blood test to rule that out, just to make our lives easier.  I don't think that Sami has ever had strep, but neither did the family in the story.  Apparently one can have it and never know it.

It's fortunate that she is older now (ten years old) because she is better able to understand the mechanics behind OCD a little better and she is able to recognize when OCD trying to make her obey it's demands.  Vitamin B has helped a lot, and I would let her take antibiotics if she did have any strep, but I don't want her to take other medications like SSRI's if she can control it through CBT.  I'm not anti-medicine, but we were able to get OCD at bay before without meds so I want to go that route again first.

I am glad we are homeschooling while she struggles with this.  We've made it part of our curriculum, studying and learning about it.  Knowing Sami, I think that a public school setting would be difficult under the best of circumstances.  While dealing with OCD, I think that she would completely melt down. 

Wish us luck!

No comments: