Sunday, January 30, 2011

Greek Mythology

Sometimes we pick a random book or CD set from the library.  Sometimes it's because we judge a book by it's cover, and sometimes I pick one for them because I want to see if the girls will get interested in a subject that I think matters.  In this case, it was because I knew there was a kid's movie out for this book so it must be somewhat interesting.  Is that lame or what? 

I checked out the CD set of Percy Jacson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan to listen while we are in the car.  The girls really got into the story, and started asking questions about Greek mythology.  I got more books from the library about Greek myths, including D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, and they keep having me read stories to them aloud from the book.  They are also looking at the DK book with pictures of the various gods and monsters and are reading myth stories on their own.  They are really enjoying learning about the different gods and their stories. 

It's fun to see them learn something that they have chosen, even if by accident.  Knowing my girls, I think that if I had started a unit study without first reading Rick Riordan's books, they would have complained the whole time.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Greek history can really be a lot of fun.