Monday, March 7, 2011

OCD and Medication...It's Working

So far, so good on the medication.  Even at the low starting dose, I can see a difference in Sami.  She wore flip-flops, she's been laying on the ground and burying herself in stuffed toys from the garage box, and she's been able to calm herself down when OCD does try to spiral out of control.  She's turning back into the pre-OCD Sami.  The OCD isn't gone, but it's more manageable. 

I know that the medication in itself is not the answer, and we'll have to continue with exposure and CBT.  The medicine has turned out to be a nice addition to our arsenal to fight OCD and get it at a reasonable level.   I just want her to feel as normal as possible and be able to fight OCD.  She'll have it all her life and the sooner she can effectively deal with it, the better.

My mother in law is understanding, and has experienced OCD in her own life, although her's presented itself differently.  She was wanting me to reassure Sami when she has the reassuring OCD moments, because it comforted her when she had those moments.  I explained to her (I don't know if she understood) that I can't feed the OCD when it demands that I reassure her.  If I reassure her OCD, it will ask again and again and again.  I think she thought I was being cruel when the OCD wanted reassured that it was okay to touch something, and my answer would be, "Oh, is that mean old OCD bothering you again?" 

Sami knows what she needs.  When my mother in law wanted to tell her it was okay to touch something, Sami would correct her and tell her that she can't do that because it makes the OCD stronger.  Sami told me in private that Grandma has a good heart and has her heart in the right place.  Sami is right, and Grandma really wants her to get better and loves her.  Grandma gets to read the OCD book next so that she can better understand how to help Sami. 

No comments: