Tuesday, March 1, 2011

OCD and Medication

Sami's been doing the exposure therapy for her OCD, and it's working, but she has been struggling so much that we've decided to try medication to help her get over the hump.  She spends so much time of the day fighting and resisting the OCD.  She is really trying and winning some battles, but when I mentioned medication she jumped on the idea willingly and said that she wanted the help that medication might bring.

I feel horrible about getting her medication.  What if I had tried a little harder as a mother?  What if I had coached her better?  What if we just tried different exposures?  What if I had given her a couple more days?

We've never had her "officially" documented as having OCD.  I've had personal experience with insurance companies denying me coverage because of a very simple pre-existing condition.  We've gone for years without OCD being written in her medical records just for that reason.  Now that we are going to get mediation, I don't think we'll be able to avoid that anymore. 

Sigh.

No comments: