Friday, March 18, 2011

Knitting

My sister showed me the very basics of knitting a few years ago, and a friend of mine has been knitting like crazy, so I've decided to try  knitting again. 

I'm not making anything official yet, but I've been practicing making swatches.   I've managed to make a button hole and a basket weave.  I've learned to live with the mistakes while I'm learning.  I've been learning how to correct mistakes now that I've gotten more practice.  I've also learned that there are certain yarns that are terrible to work with (at least for a beginner), and some that are more forgiving.  I wish I knew what the yarns were so that I can avoid them in the future, but they are freebies from my sister without packaging so I have no idea what I'm working with.
 
Basic seed stitch.

Knitting every row.  See the holes where the yarn got twisted?  This was a cotton type yarn that didn't knit very well, but I like the way that it feels. 
Alternating rows of knitting, ribbing, seed, double rib and a button hole.  This was a wool type yarn that was a little more forgiving, but I think it was blended with something so it didn't stretch well and was scratchy. 
This is a basket weave I'm trying so that I can learn how to read patterns.  It's a cheap acrylic yarn, but it stretches easily  for a beginner. 

No comments: