Sunday, October 17, 2010

Busy Week and Music Lessons

It's been one of those busy weeks.

We got school pictures done, had a library visit, got pumpkins, visited family, had a playdate, cooked out with more family, visited an orchard, did shopping, cleaned...nothing that was too time consuming, but there none the less.  Fortunately, it didn't add any stress to our week.  At least not as much as usual.

We are going to carve pumpkins today, or at least that's the goal. 

Something we're debating in this house:  After our SECOND music instructor bailed on us before lessons even started, we are feeling very frustrated in finding a guitar and voice instructor.  A couple of days ago I found an announcement in the local paper for (surprise) voice and guitar lessons, and I want to call and find out more.

Now Sami and Megan want to take gymnastics instead.  I want them to take music lessons.  I really don't want to pay for both since we're on a budget, so we're in a dilemma as to which direction to take.  Sami has the voice of an angel and I really want her to pursue music because it comes so naturally to her.  They want to take gymnastics because it's fun. 

I'll pray for good guidance in this matter.  It is hard to know what to do.  I remember what it was like to WANT to do something when I was young, but was goaded into doing what other people (well meaning parents and relatives) thought was practical to do.  My siblings had the same experience.  I never did work in the areas that I was told that I SHOULD study and took the classes in.

My sister wanted to study art and was talented, but was discouraged and told it was stupid, so she didn't take those classes.  My brother did take art classes (he is more stubborn), but it was still discouraged.  Our parents and relatives were raised during the depression and WWII, and one did what was practical.  In unschooling, I want to let them pursue what they love, but I don't want them to waste a natural talent either.

I wonder what Dave Ramsey would say in this matter, since it is a matter of finances.

No comments: