Monday, August 23, 2010

Vacation's Over

My vacation is over, and now it's time to get back to "work." I say "work" in quotes, because we're just getting back to our daily homeschool routine and enjoying a great life.

We had two wonderful weeks with Dave while he was home from Iraq. We went to Holiday World, the pool, and just plain-old hung around the house and snuggled. It was great to have Dave home to just spend time with. We all hated to see Dave leave and go back to Iraq, but we are a strong family and we will get through this as a family. When he leaves, we go through a few days of "mourning" and depression before we can feel normal again.

The girls and I are starting a new homeschooling year today...as soon as they get out of bed. I'm going to continue primarily unschooling this fall, with some math inserted here and there. I'm going to concentrate on having the girls read, reading to them, and having stealth learning opportunities available (keeping books laying around, interesting activities to do, nature exploration). We keep the TV and computer off during the day, but there are exceptions for learning games or documentaries.

This will be a year of experiments for me, as I am still learning what makes my girls tick and what inspires their passion of learning. I want to keep that learning fire going, and not dampen it with twaddle and workbooks (they get so bored with those). Wish me luck!

No comments: