Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas is Complete

We had a good Christmas.  Dave got to call Christmas morning and talk to everyone.  His parents spent the night, so they were able to talk to him also.  The presents were a hit, even if the girls didn't get everything they wanted this year (especially since most of what they wanted was expensive), but they got a lot since I found some great bargains on a couple of items.

Legos were the big hit this year.  They loved all their Lego toys and spent hours putting them together.  Sami ignored her new Nintendo DSi for hours so she could put together her Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle set.  Educational and fun is how I like it!

Now I am going to plan out this Winter's educational pursuits.  We are still unschooling, but adding a little bit of curriculum here and there.  The unschooling is working, and I can see Sami's reading level increase all the time, but I still want to plug things in there that they may not get from unschooling, such as history and math.  They do get exposed to history and math already, but I am anxious to add more and make it fun.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading this post...I have 2 boys and they also love legos. I do have to admit that I passed on the Harry Pooter Hogwarts castle that they wanted this year. The number of pieces was scary, lol. My feet hurt just thinking about stepping on them... isn't that awful of me? :)

I really liked reading that you are unschooling but throwing in a little curriculum. We are very similar and try to follow a true unschooling schedule daily, but I have to admit that sometimes I do push and prod them to work on something I want them to work on. At least for a little while. :)

Looking forward to reading more,
Katie